I picked up this piece a couple weeks ago, it was in bad shape. Typical 70's heavy furniture. The doors, one on either end, were a good 4" thick with all the "embellishment" on them.
I needed to add height to the table in order to use it between our chairs in the TV room. I removed the base built it up and reattached it. I had the lumber yard cut a 5" (4.5") plank to length for me.
I removed all the embellishments from the doors, the nails left a mess, I used some thin plywood I had and covered the entire door with it. Then added a simple frame. My first attempt at mitered corners, not bad.
I started out by painting the whole thing yellow MMS Garden Seed. The yellow, as it turned out, was not a good colour for the room, so I covered the yellow with French Enamel and the additive so the paint wouldn't chip. I then waxed the whole piece and gave it a once over with dark wax.
The top turned out great!