Monday, November 26, 2012

1970's Endtable


I picked up this piece a couple weeks ago, it was in bad shape.  Typical 70's heavy furniture.  The doors, one on either end, were a good 4" thick with all the "embellishment" on them.




I needed to add height to the table in order to use it between our chairs in the TV room.  I removed the base built it up and reattached it. I had the lumber yard cut a 5" (4.5") plank to length for me.  

 I removed all the embellishments from the doors, the nails left a mess, I used some thin plywood I had and covered the entire door with it.  Then added a simple frame. My first attempt at mitered corners,  not bad.


Viola!


 I started out by painting the whole thing yellow MMS Garden Seed.  The yellow, as it turned out, was not a good colour for the room, so I covered the yellow with French Enamel and the additive so the paint wouldn't chip.    I then waxed the whole piece and gave it a once over with dark wax.



The top turned out great!

10 comments:

  1. This came out great! Love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turned out really great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this on Face book and just loved the color. I love the vintage feel it gave it.
    Fabulous!
    Hugs,
    karin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that means a lot Karin. I still think you should come to Canada and teach me to do the transferred.

      Delete
  4. Wow! This looks great! Thanks for visiting Marty's Musings and commenting on our hutch makeover. You and I like similar colors! Have a great day!
    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely live this piece and what you have done with it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It does look different doesn't it?

      Delete